Happy Valentine’s Day to my sweethearts, cupids, and suitors extraordinaire. Two years ago on this very day, I came out with the Bloody Cleanse recipe which focused on replenishing and detoxifying ingredients to aid your body after long night of drinking. This year, I bring you the Valentine’s Day Aphrodisiac Bloody Mary recipe, which includes ingredients that will make your heart (and libido) swoon. Have it with your significant other or at evening soiree-- it is sure to please even the most distant lover’s taste buds. The Valentine’s Day Aphrodisiac Bloody Mary includes dill, rosemary, anise, bay leaves, coriander, ginger, and jalapenos among its ingredients with aphrodisiac qualities. My chosen garnishes were in the aphrodisiac, red, and pink categories, but spice yours up with anything you may love! For a few of the garnishes, I chose ingredients like salami, thick-cut prosciutto, pepperoni, and beets so I could cut cute little hearts out of the food.
Aphrodisiac/Love Qualities of Valentine’s Day Aphrodisiac Bloody Mary Ingredients*
*Note these conclusions were gathered by internet research, I am not an herbalist nor a maker of love potion.
- Anise: Anise aids bodily digestion, reduces bloating, and freshens up your breath in a sweet way to entice a lover. The herb is beneficial for women because it increases their sex drive and is beneficial for men when they may be experiencing “male menopause.”
- Bay Leaves: Kitchen folklore refers to bay leaves as the “glory of love” and were used to allure potential lovers, often in baths or in the love seeker’s pocket.
- Coriander: Coriander is said to fortify and deepen lovers’ bonds. It is also believed to help those in marriage for both happiness and fidelity.
- Dill: Dill is rumored to stimulate sex-drive in both males and females and increase fertility.
- Ginger: Ginger is an exotic and stimulating spice because of its heat. Spirit Voyage notes that “the [ginger] root is warming to the body and promotes internal secretions, has been used to arouse a reluctant lover, and warm up a “cold” woman.”
- Jalapeno: Hot chilies are used to stimulate low libido in traditional Eastern medicine. Capsaicin is the active component of chilies and has been associated with the release of endorphins in the brain. “The hotter the chili, the better the aphrodisiac effect,” remarks Cheap Health Revolution.
- Rosemary: Rosemary is a classic love herb and has been used for centuries to maintain powerful love and as an aphrodisiac. It has also been said to keep lovers faithful.
Happy Valentine’s Day to you and yours. Enjoy!
Mix (Makes About 6 Pint Glass-Sized Bloodies)
- 36 oz tomato juice or V8 Spicy Hot Vegetable Juice (I used this for a deeper veggie flavor)
- 9-10 sprigs of fresh dill
- 4-5 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp ground anise
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp celery flakes
- 1 tbs black pepper
- 1 red or green jalapeno, sliced
- 1 medium lemon, squeezed
- Dashes hot sauce
- Dashes of Worcestershire sauce (added right before consumption)
- Cherry or grape tomatoes
- Red cherry peppers
- Kalamata olives
- Lavender sprigs
- Oysters (rich in zinc, which is a libido booster)
- Red jalapeno or bell peppers
- Smoked salmon
*Carve these ingredients into hearts for a fun twist!
Preparing the Mix
- Measure 36 oz of tomato or spicy vegetable juice in a measuring glass.
- Squeeze lemon juice into the measuring glass.
- Add coriander, ground anise, ground ginger, salt, celery flakes, black pepper, and dashes of hot sauce to the measuring glass.
- Pour the new mixture into a sealable container (I used an old tomato juice bottle).
- Stuff the sliced jalapeno pepper, rosemary, dill, and bay leaves into the sealable container.
- Shake the container so the liquid mixture and fresh herbs are mixed together.
- Place in the refrigerator until you are ready to make the Valentine's Day Aphrodisiac Bloody Mary.
Making the Valentine's Day Aphrodisiac Bloodies
Place a strainer over the bowl or container that is large enough to hold the Bloody Mary mix (it may be beneficial to use a container with a pour spot for ease; you could also use the liquid measuring glass from the "Preparing the Mix" section).
Take the sealable container out of the refrigerator and pour the mix into the strainer.
Strain out the fresh herbs, bay leaves, and jalapeno slices so only the liquid Bloody Mary mix is left in the bowl or container.
Fill desired number of pint glasses with ice.
Pour 1.5 oz vodka into each glass.
Pour the Valentine's Day Aphrodisiac Bloody Mary mix into each glass.
Garnish with red, pink, and aphrodisiac garnish ingredients.
Sip your Bloody with a loved one or best friend!